Yes to Life! No to Mining!
June 28, 2016
By: Sappakkmi and Amianan Salakniban
The Barangay Council and anti-mining residents under DESAMA and SAPPAKMI decided to stop the barricade after OGPI pulled-out their equipment in the area stating that the victory of the people is only temporary.
“We will maintain to be vigilant towards the company’s dirty tactics of sneaking in drilling equipment in the area. Last time, they sneaked in their equipment when the community was busy attending a wedding and a funeral,” said Erenio Bobola, chairperson of SAPPAKMI.
According to reports from the residents, immediately after the barricade, OGPI called for a meeting with the Barangay to discuss the new amendments of their Environment Compliance Certificate (ECC) which is the basis of their entry.
“We already signed a resolution in 2012 that the community will not allow any mining activity in the area. The company did not respect that by asking the approval only from the landowners where the drilling machines were situated,” said Myrna Duyan, a board director of DESAMA.
“We still need to consolidate the landowners and the Barangay Council to steady their anti-mining stand and not be co-opted by the company’s offers because even though it is their land, the effects of the operation will affect all of us in the Barangay,” Erenio Bobola, chairperson of SAPPAKMI updated through a phone interview
Last week, the barricade was visited by incoming Governor Carlos Padilla who vowed to help the residents stop the drilling and exploration of OGPI.
Read more at Yes to Life! No to Mining!